2.09.2011

A Powerful Breakthrough

Randy


Ok. Where to start?. I left Nairobi last Wednesday headed for

Kampala via Busia border. Due to some delays we had to sleep in

Kisumu. So Thursday morning we arrived at busia border. We did not

clear customs and till 4:30 that afternoon and they only gave me 3

days to get out of Uganda or else we incur a huge fine. No problem

right? So i drove to Kampala and did not reach until 9:30, just in

time to hit massive commercial traffic jam. I managed to meet Ross

and Juma John that night. It was nice to be in Kampala with the two

of them. Just like the old days. The next morning i went to secure

visas for Silas and Christine from the embassy. Once again there was

a delay and we did not leave until about 5:00 pm. We drove north to

Gulu and made it by 9:45 pm. From Gulu until on we are no longer on

any paved roads, its all wild from here. I managed to navigate us to

Adjumani by about 12:30am. Totally exhausted I passed out quickly.

We left early Saturday morning and arrived at Bibia (Uganda/Sudan

border) around 8:45. it is nothing short of total chaos. Fortunately

we had John Kur (the most well connected man in all south Sudan and

northern Uganda) with us. He made short work of all the red tape and

we were soon in Sudan. Unfortunately John had to stay on the Ugandan

side and things got a bit tough. When we pulled into Nimule a barrage

of soldiers, agents, and customs officers approached the vehicle, all

anxious to collect the desired "taxes" due. Then out of the crowd

comes the beautiful face of Onek Brian Juma. He quickly took our

papers and moved to the front of the massive crowds, cleared our

documents and drove us to the imports office. I don't think any of

this would have worked without the help of these young men. Who would

have thought that the young orphan I found years ago would be the very

man to save me at the border crossings.... more than once.

Long story short - customs still wanted about $4000 USD which is

way more than I had and totally more than the legal tax. So I called

Awan AKA "The Godfather". I left the Land Rover at the border and

trusted that it would be resolved. of course it was. That night I

was phoned by a Governor, a General, and a member of parliament all

assuring me that there is no need to worry and they will take care of

it in the morning. And of course they did. The vehicle was released

with exception that the military carry my documents to Juba until I
get an exemption from the Minister of Finance. Let me stop here for a

minute and explain what was really on my heart while this was all

going down.

After leaving the vehicle at the border i went straight to the

orphanage. Upon arrival I found Morri in very bad shape. Morri is a

young boy who has epilepsy and my history with him is extensive and

his place in my heart is eternal. His fever was raging out of control

and he was unconscious. He was unresponsive at first. I prayed for

him by his bedside and was then summoned to speak to an officer. I

went straight back to see him. I asked the others kids and they said

he may have malaria and has not eaten since he collapsed the day

before. He finally responded to my voice but seemed out of his right

mind. I left him to go ask the compound manager about taking him for

treatment. Morri attempted to follow me and made it out of the house

but then collapsed again. I did not see him follow me i just saw him

on the ground. When i went to him it was obvious this was more than

his usual seizure. As we we trying to get him onto the transport

Pastor Juma prayed for him. When he had finished i saw many of the

other children had also gathered and had tears in their eyes. The

love these children share with one another is immeasurable.

No one was at the local clinic so we took him to a private

clinic. The doctor moved quickly to get some fluids in him. they

finally got a vein and started him on some kind of IV drip. Morri was

conscious but in a sort of coma. Eyes open but unresponsive. His

heart rate insane. He would go about 5 mins of what looked like

painful choking follows by 45 seconds of violent seizures. We had to

hold him so he would not bite his tongue or shake out the IV. This

lasted all night long and into the next day. Every time the seizures

would start my heart screamed. I knew if the Lord did not intervene

that Morri would not make it. The test for malaria came up negative

but the test for typhoid was positive. So the typhoid was spiking his

temperature and triggering seizures. I don't know how it is humanly

possible to suffer so much and yet still hang on. I prayed, they

prayed, and you prayed.... and He answered. His convulsions stopped

early hours on Monday and mid morning he came out of his coma state.

It will be burned in my mind forever, he opened his eyes and looked

into mine and smiled with a small giggle. I don't know if he knows that

i was with him when hes was sick but he knows i was there when he woke

up. It is nothing short of a miracle. His fever broke and we were

able to give him juice and some broth that day. He has not seizured

again and is gaining strength rapidly. In 2005 his father ( too old

and weak to care for Morri) came to me and said "If he dies it is not

your fault, but if he lives it is to your glory." I say not to mine

but to the glory of out loving and merciful Father. During the days

of this sickness I watched as the other children came just to sit with

him, hold his hand, wipe his head with cool water, simply to love

him. Thank you to all those who joined in to pray and fight on

Morri's behalf. From that side its hard to see the fruit but over

here its blinding.

During all this my phone was ringing off the hook from both sides

of the world. Lots of people were now on the move to assist me with

the clearing of the Land Rover. After a few big men called the

customs officers i was cleared to travel to Juba. So here I am.

However i need every paper that was taken back to the states. The

constitution, by-laws, everything. It is now Wednesday morning here.

if i don't clear today and start driving i will not make it to Rumbek

in time to catch my flight back to Nairobi Friday morning. so once I

clear here i may have to drive through the night and into the morning

to make the flight. Pray for favor. At this point though we should

just realize the Lord is in control and no matter what the

circumstance may be, He is going to see us through. Ill update again

once the package is delivered.



Jason

No comments:

Post a Comment